The American Gazette

Commonsense political and social commentary from "Flyover Country"

Name:
Location: Rural Michigan, United States

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I'm No Constitutional Scholar but....

On the Vice Presidental debates last night Sen. Edwards said that no state is forced to recognize another states marriage. This was in reference to gay marriage. At the time I wondered how it was that each state does recognize marriages from other states. It was something that simply struck me as odd. So I did a bit of research today and I think I may have found how that happens.

Article IV of the US Constitution, known as the Full Faith and Credit Clause, compels states to recognize the judicial proceedings of every other state. I could be wrong here but marriage is not only a religious act, it is a legal act or in other words a judicial act and thus a marriage performed in one state is required to be recognized in another state under this particular article.

Something to think about.
Red

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home