The American Gazette

Commonsense political and social commentary from "Flyover Country"

Location: Rural Michigan, United States

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Islamist Terrorism through the new century

2000 The last part of the 2000 celebration terrorist attacks plot fails, as the boat meant to bomb USS The Sullivans sinks

The USS Cole bombing was a suicide bombing attack against the U.S. guided missile destroyer USS Cole (DDG 67) that occurred on October 12, 2000.
Cole suffered severe damage in an attack when the ship was in the port of Aden, Yemen for a routine fuel stop. Cole completed mooring operations at 9:30 a.m. Refueling started at 10:30 a.m. At 11:18 p.m. Bahrain time (3:18 a.m. EDT), a small boat approached the port side of the destroyer, and an explosion occurred causing a 40-foot by 40-foot gash in the port side of the Cole. Damage control efforts to manage flooding in the ship's engineering spaces were reported successful that evening. Divers inspected the hull and said the keel was not damaged.
USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) and USS Hawes (FFG 53) made best speed to arrive in the vicinity of Aden that afternoon providing repair and logistical support. Additionally USNS Catawba (T-AFT 168), USS Camden (AOE 2), USS Anchorage (LSD 36), USS Duluth (LPD 6), and USS Tarawa (LHA 1) arrived in Aden some days later, providing watch relief crews, harbor security, damage control equipment, billeting, and food service for the crew of Cole.
Seventeen sailors were killed and 39 others were injured in the blast which blew a hole in the port side of the destroyer. The injured sailors were brought to the United States Army's Landstuhl Regional Medical Center near Ramstein, Germany, and were later flown to the U.S.
MV Blue Marlin carrying USS ColeM/V Blue Marlin carrying USS Cole.
Then-President Bill Clinton declared, "If, as it now appears, this was an act of terrorism, it was a despicable and cowardly act. We will find out who was responsible and hold them accountable." As defined under U.S. law, this attack was not an "act of terrorism," since it was an attack on a military target, no matter who the perpetrators may be. The popular media and many government agencies did not make this distinction and many consider the bombing to be terrorism. Regardless, no known direct military action was taken by the United States.
Cole was transported from Aden by the Norwegian heavy transport ship M/V Blue Marlin. She arrived in Pascagoula, Mississippi December 24, 2000.
On January 19, 2001, The Navy completed and released its Judge Advocate General Manual (JAGMAN) investigation of the incident, concluding that Cole's commanding officer "acted reasonably in adjusting his force protection posture based on his assessment of the situation that presented itself" when Cole arrived in Aden to refuel. The JAGMAN also concluded that "the commanding officer of Cole did not have the specific intelligence, focused training, appropriate equipment or on-scene security support to effectively prevent or deter such a determined, preplanned assault on his ship" and recommended significant changes in Navy procedures.
Hull Maintenance Technician 2nd Class Kenneth Eugene Clodfelter, 21, of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer Richard Costelow, 35, of Morrisville, Pennsylvania.
Mess Management Specialist Seaman Lakeina Monique Francis, 19, of Woodleaf, North Carolina
link to

Strasbourg cathedral bombing plot was a plan to blow up a cathedral in Strasbourg, France by Al-Qaida, a terrorist group.
In December 2000, German police uncovered the plot in Frankfurt and raided an apartment building, where they found arms and explosives. In London, England, United Kingdom, an Islamist preacher named Abu Qatada was arrested for the attack, but was released on a lack of evidence.
Italian police said that they wiretapped a telephone call related to the failure of the plot. This is the transcript.
Sami Ben Khemais: "There is danger. Members of the bin Laden cell in Frankfurt have been captured. I am warning you that they got half the group in Germany."
Tarek Maaroufi: "No!"
Khemais: "Yes. Did you understand me? They arrested our brothers in Germany and they found the arms warehouse in Germany, Frankfurt. You need a cover."
Maaroufi: "What do you mean? God be with you."
Khemais: "Did you understand me? You need a cover. You know how."

The September 11, 2001 attacks were a series of coordinated terrorist suicide attacks against the Pentagon and the World Trade Center in the United States on September 11, 2001.
The attacks were the first highly lethal attack by a foreign force on the U.S. mainland since 1814. With a death toll of nearly 3,000, the attacks exceeded the toll of approximately 2,400 dead following the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in the then-territory of Hawaii, which provoked U.S. entrance into World War II in 1941. Whereas Pearl Harbor was a military base attacked by military forces of a sovereign state, on this occasion the primary targets were civilians and conventional military forces were not used. (Although the Pentagon, a military target, was attacked, the terrorists used a hijacked civilian airliner to do so.) (no need to go in depth here, Red)

This article is about the Al-Qaida plot to destroy the United States embassy in Paris, France, as well as a munitions depot in Belgium. The NATO headquarters in Brussels was also possibly targeted.
The plot
The operation was based out of an apartment in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The Rotterdam cell probably provided the false passports that were used in the assassination of Ahmed Shah Massoud.
Tunisian Nizar Trabelsi, an ex-football player for Germany, planned the attack and was the designated suicide bomber. A gifted IT student named Kamel Daoudi led the cell and was the alleged bomb maker.
The plan called for a bomb to be built out of sulphur and acetone. Trabelsi planned to strap this bomb onto himself, and cover it up with a business suit. He would then detonate himself in the U.S. embassy.
Then, a van packed with explosives would be driven into the U.S. cultural center of Paris and the explosives inside would be detonated nearby Place de la Madeleine.
The confession that ended it
The plot began to unravel when a 36-year old French Algerian conspirator named Djamel Beghal was arrested in late July 2001 for passport fraud at Dubai International Airport in the United Arab Emirates. He was trying to travel to back Europe on a false French passport after receiving training in Afghanistan. Trabelsi went to Brussels and disappeared.
Beghal confessed details of the plot after interrogation. Beghal said that he was relaying instructions from the top brass of Al-Qaida. He recanted parts of his confession after he went back to France, claiming that it had been given under duress. By August, the Dutch police wiretapped the Rotterdam cell.
The French government opened an inquiry into the plot on 10 September, 2001, one day before the September 11, 2001 attacks occurred. Surveillance had started that day on a group of suspected terrorists in Corbeil-Essone, France, near Paris.

2001 December 13, 2001 Terrorist attack on Indian Parliament

2001 Richard Reid, attempting to destroy American Airlines Flight 63, is subdued by passengers and flight attendants before he could detonate his shoe bomb

Singapore embassies terrorist attack plot
Al-Qaida and Jemaah Islamiyah planned to bomb the embassies of the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Israel in Singapore and several other targets in Singapore.
The plan
On 7 October, 2001, a 30-year old Indonesian using a false Filipino passport and a Kuwaiti on a false Canadian passport were sent to Singapore to activate a sleeper cell.
According to the Singaporean government, at least eight of sleeper cell members were trained in Afghanistan, and none of them went to the local mosque or even made contact with any local Islamic organizations.
The two men that came, Fathur Rahman al-Ghozi, known as Mike, and a man known as Sammy, were taken to videotape the U.S. and Australian embassies. Philippine authorities said that Al-Ghozi had three Philippine passports and an Indonesian passport.
The cell members then set off to find 21 tons of explosives, along with trucks and chemicals.
How it failed
After September 11, an informant told the Singaporean Internal Security Department about Muhammad Aslam Yar Ali Khan, a Singaporean of Pakistani descent who was a member of a group partnered with Al-Qaida. He was placed under surveillance, and he left for Pakistan on October 4. The man was captured by Northern Alliance officials. His interrogation led investigators to the Singapore cell.
The arrests of 13 people began in December 9. Soon after that, a video found in an abandoned house in Kabul, Afghanistan showed a narrator in Singapore that was describing about how bombs could be hidden to attack Americans. Investigators found similar tapes at the residences of the arrested men.
In all, 33 men were arrested in relation to this plot.
The Ghriba Synagogue Attack was a deadly bombing carried out in Tunisia by the al-Qaeda terrorist group.
On April 11, 2002, a natural gas truck fitted with explosives drove past security barriers at the ancient Ghriba Synagogue on the Tunisian island of Djerba. The truck detonated at the front of the synagogue, killing 14 German tourists, six Tunisians, and one Frenchman. More than 30 others were wounded.
Although the attack was initially called an accident, as Tunisia, France, and Germany investigated, it became clear the attack was deliberate. A 24 year-old man named Nizar Nawar apparently was the suicide bomber, who carried out the attack with the aid of a relative. An audio tape later claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it "sent Germany a message."
Many people were arrested over the bombing.

the morning of June 14, 2002, a truck with a fertilizer bomb driven by a suicide driver was detonated outside the US Consulate in Karachi, Pakistan. 12 people were killed and many more injured. All were non-Americans.
It led to an increase in security in US bases throughout Pakistan.
A group called al-Qanoon claimed responsibility for the attack. However, the incident is believed to have been connected with al-Qaeda and the US War on Terror.

The Limburg tanker boming involved the october 6, 2002 bombing of the Limburg, a French oil tanker.
On that day, the ship was carrying 397,000 barrels of crude oil from Iran to Malaysia. While it was stationed in the Gulf of Aden off of Yemen to pick up more oil, a small dinghy laden with bombs rammed into the starboard side of the tanker and detonated. The ship was on fire and 90,000 barrels of oil leaked out. A 38-year old Bulgarian crew member named Atanas Atanasov died, and other crew members were injured.
The ship's fire was put out. It was towed to Dubai, United Arab Emirates four days later.
The damage was worth about 45,000,000 United States dollars.
Al Qaeda had claimed responsibility for the attack on the website, which had since been shut down.


Post a Comment

<< Home